We like to think that our Macro Template Program is different from others in that we preach eating Earth Grown Nutrients. Yes, we do also use the “if it fits your macros” motto from time to time, but the goal with our program is to fuel our clients properly at the cellular level – and the only way to do that is with fibrous, micro-nutrient dense foods.
We not only give macro goals here at Food For Fuel, but we give fiber (and water) goals as well. We have found that the very best way to encourage eating Earth Grown Nutrients is by implementing this fiber goal.
If you want to eat garbage food 24/7 just because it fits your macros, then need not apply. Today we talk about taking in enough fiber from real foods (NOT a fiber supplement) and why it’s important. Don’t worry, we have plenty of examples of our go-to high fiber foods that you can easily incorporate into your daily diet.
Let’s talk fiber basics first. There are two kinds of fiber:
- Soluble Fiber- dissolves in water and helps lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels, preventing illness and disease.
- Insoluble Fiber- does not dissolve in water and therefore helps promote bowel movements by moving material through the digestive tract.
On the surface, we promote fiber intake for a few main reasons. As mentioned, our number one reason is to make sure that our clients are taking in nutrient dense foods, as these are what contain fiber. Another reason is because fibrous foods are filling! Trust us, if your diet is lacking fiber, you’re going to notice that you are hungry more often. Slowly start incorporating the fibrous foods we are going to recommend and you will soon feel far more satiated than before!
Lastly, and what most people associate fiber with, is its ability to keep everyone regular. Let’s face it, if you’re not having a regular bowel movement once a day, things can get really uncomfortable. *Please note that too little, too many, or painful bowel movements could be the result of an underlying medical issue. If you are one of these people, please reach out to us so we can get you in touch with our team of Registered Dietitians for further diagnosis!*
Now that you know a little bit more about fiber, below are our favorite sources. Whether your goal is 20g or 40g, you can certainly find a way to meet that with Earth Grown Nutrient foods!
- Oat bran: 5.2g per 1/4c serving (compared to oatmeal which is only 2g per 1/4c)
- Chia seeds: 5.5g per tablespoon
- Apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries all have around 3 to 4 grams of fiber per serving
- Raspberries & blackberries: 8g per cup
- Artichokes are among the highest-fiber veggies, at 10 grams for a medium-sized artichoke.
- Lentils: 15.6 grams per cup, cooked
- Black Beans: 15g per cup, cooked
- Broccoli: 5g per 1 cup
- Avocado: 6.7g per 1/2 avocado
Here is our FAVORITE fiber packed breakfast, the Mike Dolce breakfast bowl! Adjust the ingredients based on what you have and what fits your macros. Start your day with one of these and you are off to great start hitting that fiber goal!